Dentures enable you to enjoy a healthy diet and smile with confidence.
What is a denture?
Dentures are removable dental appliances that can be used to replace one or more missing teeth. They can be made with an acrylic or chrome base and composite teeth. The colour of the teeth will be matched so they blend seamlessly with your natural teeth.
Why should I wear dentures?
Dentures help you to eat comfortably, speak clearly and will improve your confidence and self-esteem. Dentures can also help to prevent your remaining teeth from shifting in a way that can affect the way you bite and could damage your other teeth.
What are the two main types of dentures?
Partial dentures – replace one or several missing teeth in either your upper or lower jaw. They may be fastened to your natural teeth with metal clasps or ‘precision attachments’.
Full dentures – replace all the teeth in either your upper or lower jaw.
How soon can I have a denture after my teeth are taken out?
Immediate dentures can be fitted straight after your teeth have been removed. This means that you will not need to be without teeth. Your dentures will need to re-lined, adjusted or remade when your gums have healed to ensure that your denture feels comfortable.
Will dentures make me look different?
Dentures can be made to closely match your natural teeth so that your appearance hardly changes. Modern dentures may even improve the look of your smile and help to fill out the appearance of your face.
Will I be able to eat with dentures?
Eating will take a little practice. Start with soft foods and as you become more used to your denture, you will be able to add food until you get back to your normal healthy diet.
Will dentures change how I speak?
Pronouncing certain words may take practice. Reading out loud and repeating difficult words will help.
How are dentures made?
At your initial appointment, the dentist will take impressions of your teeth and gums, which are sent to the laboratory. From these the dental technician can make moulds of your mouth, these are used to build up the dentures, with regular appointments to ensure that they fit, allow a proper bite and to ensure that look aesthetically pleasing. They are normally created in four stages and you will need to return to the dentist for an appointment every week for them to be completed. This enables the dental technician to craft unique dentures, designed specifically to meet your needs.
How long will my dentures last?
If you treat your dentures well, they should last several years. However, your dentures will need to be relined or re-made because of normal wear, or a change in the shape of your mouth. Bone and gum ridges can shrink, causing your jaws to meet differently. Loose dentures can cause discomfort, and health problems including sores and infections. A loose or badly fitting denture can also make eating and talking more difficult. It is important to replace worn or badly fitting dentures before they cause problems.
Benefits of Dentures
- Dentures can provide a fresh start – if you have been having problems with your teeth for a few years, dentures can provide a new set of teeth that are natural looking, and custom made.
- Dentures are low maintenance – although it will require 4 or 5 appointments to initially make the dentures, once they are made, they simply need cleaning in a similar way to how you would clean your natural teeth.
- Dentures allow you to eat a full and varied diet – it may take some time to get used to your dentures but once you are, you will be able to eat and chew comfortably without the fear or pain or discomfort.
- Dentures can help make you look younger – They help to fill out your cheeks and give your face the support it needs.
- Dentures can help to enhance the appearance of your smile – They can be made so your teeth are straighter and whiter than your original smile, helping to give you confidence in your appearance.